Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Ricky Stuart may go unpunished over his World Cup meltdown

RICKY Stuart could be spared the sack over his World Cup meltdown after the Australian Rugby League distanced itself from the affair, leaving it in the hands of an independent investigator acting under the World Cup's code of conduct.
ARL chairman Colin Love, acting in his role as head of the international body and World Cup tournament director, appointed Sydney lawyer Rob Webber SC to conduct the investigation into the damning claims made against Stuart.
The investigation and subsequent sanctions will be carried out under the World Cup Organising Committee's code of conduct, heightening the chances Stuart's heated clash with English whistleblower Ashley Klein and head of referees Stuart Cummings will result in only a fine.
Under rule 7.5 of the code of conduct, coaches are forbidden from approaching, questioning or harassing match officials before, during or after matches. The penalties for breaches include reprimands, fines or expulsion from the tournament. Given the tournament is over, a fine shapes as the only realistic punishment.
However, the rules also state the fine would be paid by the country of the official involved, raising the possibility Stuart will not face any sanction and the fine would be levied against the ARL.
Thus Stuart could walk away without being punished in the latest twist in a bizarre postscript to the World Cup.
Stuart, who was ropable after his side's defeat, is alleged to have called Klein a cheat and clashed physically with Cummings after bumping into the pair in the lobby of the Holiday Inn hotel in Brisbane on Sunday morning.
Should the Kangaroos be fined by the organising committee, ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said his organisation had the option to take further action against Stuart.
"There will be a decision made on penalty, guilt or innocence by the World Cup organising committee," Carr said.
"If after that there is something strange that has happened, the ARL has the opportunity to look at it."
Privately, some board members are uncomfortable with the notion of Stuart retaining his position if the allegations against him are confirmed. The next ARL board meeting is scheduled for early December, by which time the investigation into Stuart should be complete and his tenure will be discussed.
The other concern for the ARL is that it would leave itself open to accusations of double standards if Stuart were retained. His predecessor, Wayne Bennett, was ushered out the door after losing the Tri-Nations final and avoiding the waiting media at Brisbane airport on his return from England three years ago.
Earlier this year when NSW assistant coach Steve Roach labelled referee Tony Archer a cheat following the Blues' loss in the third and deciding State of Origin game, Love made it clear similar offences from any official would be met with harsh punishment. He also said the ARL would make every effort to protect the integrity of referees.
Stuart's latest actions have done much damage to the profession. Cummings has already supplied his version of events to World Cup officials but may be called upon to provide further evidence to Webber.
World Cup referees' boss Mick Stone is also expected to provide evidence given he was a witness to the altercation.
"I was there but I was behind Ricky and I didn't hear what he said," Stone said.
Asked what he saw, Stone replied: "I can't tell you. It is subject to an investigation."
Stuart has crossed swords with referees on previous occasions during his coaching career, most notably three years ago when, as Sydney Roosters coach, he savaged former whistleblower Tim Mander in his newspaper column.
So vicious was the attack, the Australian Rugby League Referees Association sent a letter to several publications warning of the damage his comments caused.
In the letter, Stuart was told his criticism of Mander had done "inestimable" damage at grass roots level.
"They referee because they love the game and do it for the kids who play and watch at their local grounds, a concept that Mr Stuart and others obviously don't understand," the letter said.
"We suggest he leaves referees alone and gets on with it."
Stuart is yet to comment on the issue and did not take calls.

Source The Australian

Google conquest alternative

No comments: